One of the reasons I love living in Europe is that you can be in another country within hours and if you decide to take a European road trip you can easily visit multiple countries on the one trip. Driving in Europe is generally stress free but some of the bigger cities like Paris and Rome can be a little crazy!
Here I’ve listed some of the best European road trips and itineraries I’ve taken over the last few years. Read on to gather ideas for planning your own driving holiday routes.
Road Trips in Central Europe
- Germany: Cologne to Berlin – Driving across Northern Germany in winter you’ll pass through some of the country’s most beautiful historic cities. Take a warm coat and drink some mulled wine and you won’t even notice the cold.
- Budapest to Krakow via Kosice – Starting in Budapest, the incredible Hungarian capital, driving north towards the unusual city of Kosice in Eastern Slovakia and then up to Poland’s most famous city, Krakow.
Eastern Europe and The Baltic States
- 10 Amazing Days in Estonia – Estonia is unlike any country in Europe. It’s unique in so many ways. You can find the Old Believers, the Seto community, the island people, university town Tartu, bogs, windmills, meteor craters, nude beaches, Stalinist towns, castles, manor houses and of course Medieval Tallinn.
Road Trips in Western Europe
- Italy: Tuscany’s Hilltop Towns – We all know Tuscany has incredible beauty but the regions hilltop towns are especially stunning. This road trip takes you through Siena, Pienza and San Gimignano.
- French Riviera & Provence – The winding roads of the Cote d’Azur, stopping at beaches, glitzy resorts, hilltop towns along the coast and then up through Provence.
- Paris to Berlin – This itinerary takes you past Roman ruins at Trier, fairytale-like Bacharach, breathtakingly beautiful Dresden and the diverse German capital Berlin.
- Paris to Innsbruck, Austria – When driving from Paris to Innsbruck be sure to stop in the tiny country of Liechtenstein.
- Portugal: Porto to Guimaraes – Lisbon has an interesting history, delicious food and great nightlife but northern Portugal has a lot to offer too. Go port tasting in Porto, wander the historic city of Guimaraes or go hiking in Geres National Park.
- Sardinia Road Trip – Road tripping around the Italian island of Sardinia might just be one of the best trips of your life. Sardinia has countless sandy and pebble beaches, secluded coves, and incredible sunrises. In this post, I highlight the best beaches and the ultimate Sardinian road trip itinerary.
- Sardinia to Berlin via France – Hopping on the car ferry in Sardinia you can head to Marseille, Genoa or Livorno. From there you have your choice of adorable French towns and cities like Annecy, Colmar and Strasbourg and anywhere you like in Germany but my top recommendation is Dresden.
- The Netherlands: Amsterdam to Maastricht – This Dutch road trip starts in Amsterdam then has you driving through the tulip fields around Keukenhof before heading to bike friendly cities Utrecht and Maastricht.
The Balkans and Southeastern Europe
- Bosnia and Herzegovina – Crossing the border in the north takes you through the almost tourist free region of Republika Srpska then down to Sarajevo, one of the most popular cities in the Balkans, and on to beautiful Mostar in the south.
- Romania: The Ultimate Romanian Road Trip – Romania might be one of the less visited countries in Europe but it’s no less beautiful or interesting. This trip is perfect for first time visitors to Romania as it covers the highlights of Transylvania and the capital Bucharest.
Road Trips by the Season
- 5 Winter Road Trip Itineraries – Choose one of these warmer winter road trip itineraries or brave the snow for a cold winter holiday break.
For more road trips in Europe, subscribe to Rear View Mirror.