One of the reasons I love living in Europe is that you can be in another country within hours and if you decide to take a European road trip you can easily visit multiple countries on the one trip. Driving in Europe is generally stress free but some of the bigger cities like Paris and Rome can be a little crazy!
The Best European Road Trips
Here I’ve listed some of the best European road trips I’ve taken over the last few years.
Single Country Road Trips
- Bosnia and Herzegovina – Crossing the border in the north takes you through the almost tourist free region of Republika Srpska then down to Sarajevo, one of the most popular cities in the Balkans, and on to beautiful Mostar in the south.
- Portugal: Porto to Guimaraes - Lisbon has an interesting history, delicious food and great nightlife but northern Portugal has a lot to offer too. Go port tasting in Porto, wander the historic city of Guimaraes or go hiking in Geres National Park.
- The Netherlands: Amsterdam to Maastricht - This Dutch road trip starts in Amsterdam then has you driving through the tulip fields around Keukenhof before heading to bike friendly cities Utrecht and Maastricht.
Multi Country Road Trips
- Paris to Berlin - This route takes you past Roman ruins at Trier, fairytale-like Bacharach, breathtakingly beautiful Dresden and the diverse German capital Berlin.
- Paris to Innsbruck - When driving from Paris to Innsbruck be sure to stop in the tiny country Liechtenstein.